Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Gospel Thoughts Today: Successful Detachment

When I was 19 years old, I rolled my Datsun B210 hatchback on a mountain pass. I was attending Western State College in Gunnison, Colorado, headed home to the Denver area for Spring Break. In the accident, my nose met the steering wheel . . . hard. Broke my nose in a few places, got a few stitches in my shoulder, but I was alive. Needless to say, I didn't make it home, landing in the hospital overnight. About a week later I had a doctor's appointment to remove the packing in my nose. I could finally stop mouth-breathing, despite my nasal passages still being quite swollen. A roommate suggested I use nasal spray to decrease the swelling. Man, did it clear me right up!  And then 4 hours later, stuffed up again. A week later, I couldn't live without it. I panicked if my little white bottle with the red writing wasn't within 2 feet of me. I was addicted to nose spray. A year later, my dependency lingered. The thought of quitting did cross my mind, but then it would be time for a few sprays and I wasn't willing to suffer just yet. Maybe next week, I thought.  I continued to make excuses for why I wasn't ready to quit. Another year went by and after getting married, I became pregnant with our first child. My doctor told me I had to quit the nose spray . . . I almost hyperventilated. Pregnant and not being able to breathe seemed unbearable. He thankfully prescribed decongestants for comfort during withdrawal. Detachment did not go well the first week.  As time went on, day by day, it got a little easier. At one month post-nasal-spray-addiction, I was healed. Over the last 35+ years, whenever I've had a stuffy nose, I think of that little white bottle with red writing.  I'm thankful it helped me through a tough time, and I am thankful I successfully detached!

Today's Gospel (Mark 3:31-35) is at first a little surprising coming out of the mouth of our Savior.  But after contemplation, I see the value of detachment:

The mother of Jesus and his brothers arrived at the house. Standing outside, they sent word to Jesus and called him. A crowd seated around him told him, “Your mother and your brothers and your sisters are outside asking for you.” But he said to them in reply, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” And looking around at those seated in the circle he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of God  is my brother and sister and mother.”

In Volume One, Thoughts on Spirituality, Anne shares her experience of Jesus and His detachment during her Stations of the Cross:

"On the First Station today, Jesus pointed out that when He received the death sentence and was condemned to die, He felt a momentary feeling of panic and revulsion. It was His humanity protesting at the idea of its death. He said we need to separate ourselves from the world and practice detachment from worldly things, human respect, and at times even people. We must separate because if we become too attached to these things, we cannot serve Him with completeness, which is what we are striving to obtain, completeness in Christ and in service to Christ. That is our goal, and we must set our spiritual bar very high. If we practice this, and make it a habit, we will not be disappointed or drown under the inevitable situation where the world or its people withdraw their esteem or affection from us. At times, if you are in the service of Christ, you will be attacked. When your eyes are set on heavenly things and you are detached, you will suffer the initial feeling of revulsion at this, and perhaps panic, but soon your focus will realign itself, your will will make the correction, and the attack will not disturb your peace too much. I think the great saints remained recollected in times of attack. They abhorred too much affection and ran from adulation. They knew."

Lay apostles, do you heavily rely on someone or something to make your life better? What would happen if him/her/it was taken away from you? Would you fall apart or move on? Sometimes it seems too hard to let go of something you love or feel you can't live without. The thing is, we are never alone or without help. Jesus and all of heaven are always on standby waiting to jump in and assist where we need the help. As Jesus says above, we cannot serve Him when we rely on someone or something else.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me detachment is necessary in order to serve You completely.

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: