Friday, July 19, 2013

Retrieving What is Lost

Editing a large Word document for a friend's business last week, my MacBook Pro began giving me error messages when it tried to AutoSave. Every time the multiple error messages occurred, I would close the Word document and then reopen . . . only to find it didn't save any of my changes!  My Mac had been running a little slow lately, so I figured I needed to clean it up with the Disk Utility app. It repaired a few issues, and within minutes, I was back to editing. Got about 1/3 of the way through the document, and BAM! Same error messages. Went to Disk Utility again, and this time it said it couldn't repair the disk. Went into the Recovery Hard Drive (had to Google this, not my area of expertise!) and after running the Repair Disk, got the scariest error message EVER: Disk Utility stopped repairing "Macintosh HD" Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."  Let's just say I'm terrible at remembering to back-up my computer . . . and almost went into a full-blown panic. My Mac guy Tim was in New York on business, so after a few texts with him, had to take it to someone locally. Let's just say I was told he knew everything about Macs. Turns out  (after a few hundred dollars) not exactly the truth. Thank the Lord Tim took my computer a few days ago to try to restore my old hard drive. My advice . . . if you have a Mac, make sure you have a Mac expert  attempting any repair. Prayers please, for a restored hard drive!

In todays Gospel (Matthew 12:1-8), we learn following Christ is the only way to restore our souls:

Jesus was going through a field of grain on the sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat them. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “See, your disciples are doing what is unlawful to do on the sabbath.” He said to the them, “Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry, how he went into the house of God and ate the bread of offering, which neither he nor his companions but only the priests could lawfully eat? Or have you not read in the law that on the sabbath the priests serving in the temple violate the sabbath and are innocent? I say to you, something greater than the temple is here. If you knew what this meant, I desire mercy, not sacrifice, you would not have condemned these innocent men. For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath.”


In Volume Seven, St. Gertrude warns us to stay focused on Christ, not the world:


"Dear brothers and sisters, along with detachment you must practice humility. You have words from heaven, but what will you do with these words? Will you understand that God is calling you to be an apostle? Truly, that is the case. Have you answered that call? You will be first in heaven, my friends, but you must allow yourself to be last on earth. You have been given great spiritual food, along with many spiritual graces. You will not want to waste these graces by continuing to march to the tune of the enemy. Step out of that group that follows the world and follow us, your heavenly friends. We are humble because we compare ourselves to Christ. Compare yourself to Him and you will also feel humble. When you are humble, He can make you great. It is not hard to understand if you are detached from the world."

Lay apostles, life as you know it can change in an instant. Are you prepared? Reinforce your soul and imbed Christ deep into your heart. Read the Volumes. Let Jesus restore you when life throws you a curve ball. He sure saved me over the last few weeks!

Thank you, Lord, for the lessons of trust and patience. And, the importance of backing up your computer on a regular basis!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: