Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Gospel Thoughts Today: Hungry For Healing

Annie is my guest blogger today. She wrote this for me a few years ago and I wanted to share again. Such an amazing young woman!
*********************************************************************************
Final exams are looming close on my horizons, but I can’t quite see the horizon through the mists of papers and presentations and projects that are due before that. Is this the busiest time of year or what? Especially for us poor college students, who are just trying to enjoy Christmas without panic attacks over what assignment we’re behind on or how we’re going to balance work hours with classes, test preparation, and having some semblance of a social life. Sometimes I can really identify with the struggle of the lame, blind, deformed and mute people referenced in today’s Gospel passage. (All because of some school work. Can you tell I don’t handle stress well?) But don’t we all have those wild-eyed bouts of anxiety when we feel overburdened by the stresses presented to us in our daily lives? It’s easy to get caught up in the pressures of your environment and fret about collapsing under the weight of it all, especially when those pressures are suddenly increased and seem like more than you can possibly handle, especially by yourself.

Today’s Gospel (Matthew 15:29-37) reassures us that God is taking care of our needs. Whether we are hungry for loaves and fishes or hungry for healing, God has the cure, and distributes it as generously and freely as our medical system does not:

At that time: Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee, went up on the mountain, and sat down there.  Great crowds came to him, having with them the lame, the blind, the deformed, the mute, and many others. They placed them at his feet, and he cured them.  The crowds were amazed when they saw the mute speaking, the deformed made whole,  the lame walking,  and the blind able to see, and they glorified the God of Israel.

Jesus summoned his disciples and said, “My heart is moved with pity for the crowd, for they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat.  I do not want to send them away hungry, for fear they may collapse on the way.” The disciples said to him, “Where could we ever get enough bread in this deserted place to satisfy such a crowd?”  Jesus said to them, “How many loaves do you have?”  “Seven,” they replied, “and a few fish.”  He ordered the crowd to sit down on the ground.  Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, gave thanks, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds.  They all ate and were satisfied.  They picked up the fragments left over–seven baskets full.

We are all hungry for something. Every single one of us has a longing for something we lack, be it material comfort, physical health, spiritual cravings, whatever. The good news is we have access to unlimited graces from heaven that can satisfy every one of our hunger pangs; seven extra basket’s worth, for the love of God. The less good news is that we frequently disregard this and try to attain goals by ourselves, forgetting the wealth of favors God will grant us if we simply ask for them. For instance, I’ve noticed that I am tempted to neglect prayer in times of tension in favor of frantically racing around trying to get my assignments in. But if I take the time to pray first, I can calmly accomplish all I need to and perform better on each task besides. The more faith and time we give to God, the more peace and productivity and fish He will give to us. God the Father reminds us in Volume Three that even when we are hungry, we are precious to Him, and that He will provide for us as long as we ask Him to:

“…every soul was created to serve in My Kingdom. Each has glorious qualities that will flourish when they follow Me. Souls think they have little to offer. That is because they are not doing My will, but their own. When they ask Me for guidance, they will get it. I will guide the soul to their rightful role in My Kingdom and their gifts will explode into development under My watchful and guiding eye. Souls feel undernourished spiritually. They are actually starving, My little one, and that is because they do not come to Me for nourishment. They seek worldly nourishment which leaves them terribly unwell because they think they should be fed and wonder why the hunger pangs continue. They hunger for Me. Well, as I have been from the beginning of time, I am here. I am here, dear little children. Your God loves you with a love that will set you to sobbing in joy. Do not fear Me. You need only fear Me if you are My enemy. If you are My enemy, you will lose everything. Do not be My enemy. You were created to be My friend and to have everything that I have to offer. In the days to come, We will discuss what it is I offer you, My children. Your inheritance is too glorious to deal with in a few page . . . this work is My Christmas gift to your world. You see that your God participates in all on earth. In this season of giving, I also give. Be at peace now, little souls of the world. I am here.”

Can I just say how impressed I am with God’s organizational skills that He knew I would be writing this around Christmas time? How awesome is that?! Maybe you’re scoffing and thinking, I’ve never experienced this healing and feeding thing and God hasn’t done anything special for me and I don’t even LIKE fish. If that’s the case – and believe me, I say this without judgment because I’ve had ALL of those thoughts – I dare you to ask God to help you trust Him in prayer. After that, I dare you to make a decision to trust God and see if it doesn’t pay off.

Jesus the King, Volume Four:“ . . . souls who hunger for God will feel My presence and give thanks. So do not curse hardship. Do not blame God for the pains and sorrows in this world. It is through your acceptance of these things that you will find your soul illuminated with the light of the next world.”

God bless,
Annie







No comments: