Thursday, March 29, 2018

Holy Thursday - Serving Others with Humility

Waitressing has to be one of the most difficult jobs on this earth. It requires a ton of humility as some patrons command you cower to their needs. My short stint as a waitress at Denny's while in high school helped shape my awareness and thankfulness to those who serve on a daily basis. Quite the rebellious teen, I didn't handle rude people very well. But I never expressed my "pissed offness" to the customer's face. A very experienced waitress training me seriously expressed how to handle rude customers . . . behind the scenes. I know you know where this is going . . . not something I'm proud of, but man, sure felt good at the time. I won't go into detail, but watching a jerk drink the coffee I added an "extra something" to gave me such pleasure! Of course, shame on the waitress for teaching me at an early age about revenge.  So, what did I take away from this experience? I always try to be kind to those who serve me. And I try to serve others to the best of my ability. The next time you find yourself beginning to take your bad mood out on the hard working waitress (or waiter), remember my blog post today. And, for heaven's sake, be kind! We are all the same underneath, and have chosen paths that lead to where we are today. 

Today's Gospel (John 13:1-15) immediately makes me think of Pope Francis and his Christlike behavior . . . behavior every priest and lay person should emulate:

Before the feast of Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to pass from this world to the Father. He loved his own in the world and he loved them to the end. The devil had already induced Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot, to hand him over. So, during supper,  fully aware that the Father had put everything into his power and that he had come from God and was returning to God,  he rose from supper and took off his outer garments. He took a towel and tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin  and began to wash the disciples’ feet  and dry them with the towel around his waist. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him,  “Master, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing, you do not understand now, but you will understand later.” Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me.” Simon Peter said to him,  “Master, then not only my feet, but my hands and head as well.” Jesus said to him,  “Whoever has bathed has no need except to have his feet washed, for he is clean all over;  so you are clean, but not all.” For he knew who would betray him; for this reason, he said, “Not all of you are clean.”

So when he had washed their feet  and put his garments back on and reclined at table again, he said to them, “Do you realize what I have done for you? You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet,  you ought to wash one another’s feet. I have given you a model to follow,  so that as I have done for you, you should also do.”

In the Monthly Message of May 2006, Jesus asks us to commit to our "jobs" every day with kindness and humility:

"Do not think that your Jesus misunderstands the difficulty associated with suffering. Always consider the suffering I accepted in the world, on the cross in My final hours of course, but also throughout My life. I did not spend My time on earth in comfort and leisure. I worked hard each day and often did without things that souls today take for granted. Consider My life on earth in its entirety. Dearest apostle, My friend, I lived as quietly as possible. I prayed for you every day. I offered comfort and assistance to others in pain or in need. I committed Myself to My duty each day and never deviated from My responsibilities. I did this because I knew that you would benefit from a model to follow. You see, I spent each day on earth aware of your life. When I was tempted to become disheartened, I thought of you, struggling, and I disciplined Myself to be brave and hopeful. I offered My struggles to God the Father and asked that in return, He grant you graces of courage and hope. I did not waste any time on earth, My beloved."

Lay apostles, how do you treat those who serve you? Realize they go home to a family, a sick child, a lonely empty home, an abusive relationship. Most of us work very hard at our jobs, and don't need the added pressure of condemnation. So, give the hardworking waitress a little extra if she/he served you well. And remember, service to others is what Christ is all about.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: