Friday, March 23, 2018

Gospel Thoughts Today: Understanding

Understanding circumstances in which decisions are made can be perplexing . . . but there is always more to the story. Unless we are the ones conducting the action, how can we judge? It's hard at times to trust Someone knows what's better for me than me myself! The older I get the more I am able to give up control and allow Him to lead the way. I understand He intimately knows the bigger picture of my life. The lesson? Trust that the One with more background information knows what He is doing and is in charge!

In today's Gospel (John 10:31-42), Jesus attempts to "educate" again:

The Jews picked up rocks to stone Jesus. Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from my Father. For which of these are you trying to stone me?" The Jews answered him, "We are not stoning you for a good work but for blasphemy. You, a man, are making yourself God."

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, 'You are gods"'?  If it calls them gods to whom the word of God came, and Scripture cannot be set aside, can you say that the one whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world blasphemes because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?  If I do not perform my Father's works, do not believe me; but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father." Then they tried again to arrest him; but he escaped from their power.

He went back across the Jordan to the place where John first baptized, and there he remained.  Many came to him and said, "John performed no sign, but everything John said about this man was true." And many there began to believe in him.

In Anne's book Staying in Place, she makes a great point . . . anything can change in an instant: 

"We can all remember a day which began like any other and ended in extraordinarily altered circumstances. Sometimes we say, “I wish it were yesterday and this thing had not happened.” And sometimes we say, “Thank God it is not yesterday before this wonderful thing happened.”

Expectations. Be careful about them, dear friends. We must understand whether or not our expectations are reasonable to our circumstances, and then begin the process of freeing ourselves from them because there are no guarantees. Life is changeable. Anyone who has dealt with an abrupt natural disaster or the death of a loved one can vouch for the need of freedom from expectations. Most of us will say that in some instance in life, what we expected to happen did not happen and, while devastated at the time, we now thank God for the altered course as we see the wonderful impact on our development and circumstances.

If we allow them, our crosses truly become our joys."

Lay apostles, let's all appreciate what we have and experience today, understanding life is a roller coaster. If today turns out to be less than stellar, there is always one Person waiting to console . . . Christ is ready and waiting!

Thank you, Lord, for understanding me better than I can possibly understand myself!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: