Monday, March 5, 2018

Gospel Thought Today: Misunderstandings

Have you ever said something and immediately realized it could be easily misconstrued as offensive? Admittedly, at times I hear bits and pieces of information and tend to quickly assess if I am being wronged or my opinions are being dismissed . . . both which can generate the surfacing of previous wounds. We all carry emotional baggage. Fighting to keep those past hurts at bay is the challenge. I have discovered a way to help dissipate those feelings . . . unload it quickly and remember . . . listen to what Jesus tells us in the Gospels and in the Volumes. It is the Truth and the Way to our salvation. Don't ignore Him. He is trying to save us a lot of heartache while we are in exile on this earth. Forgive easily. Love always. Clarity can come from any misunderstanding if we view it through the eyes of Christ.

In the Gospel today (Luke 4:24-30), the truth seems to cause fury . . . did they misunderstand, or was it fear? 

Jesus said to the people in the synagogue at Nazareth: “Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place. Indeed, I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah when the sky was closed for three and a half years and a severe famine spread over the entire land. It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.” When the people in the synagogue heard this, they were all filled with fury. They rose up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town had been built,  to hurl him down headlong. But he passed through the midst of them and went away.

In the March 2008 Monthly Message, Jesus asks us to love at all times, despite any misunderstandings:

"My dear friend, you will learn so much about love in heaven. You will look back at your time on earth and you will understand that many things that occurred to you were both exercises in love and opportunities to love. There is misunderstanding about love in the world but those who follow Me, My beloved apostles, seek to master love as I mastered love, in sacrifice. It is true that love creates joy. This is true. But when we take on love, it is also at times like taking on a burden which must then be carried. We should not decide for love and then, finding that love burdensome at times, set it down and walk away from it. This is not how it is done. On the contrary, if you love as I loved, you will find at times that the weight of love is heavy. I experienced this on Calvary when I carried My love for you to My death. Did I make the right decision, to pay the ultimate price for love? Of course I did. What else would I do, given the wonderful creation that is you? In the same way, I want each of My apostles to expect their love for Me to be a burden to them at times. This is normal. I want each of My apostles to expect their love for others to be a burden to them at times. This is also normal. In love, there are times when the decision to love feels light, of course, and there seems to be no burden to it at all. Rejoice in these times. In love, there are other times when the burden causes you to question your commitment. Do not be afraid of these times. This questioning is necessary for your growth. I experienced this, too. I was tempted toward an easier way. When love is tried this way and triumphs, that love becomes firmer and less likely to be disappointed later."

Lay apostles, are you holding a grudge due to a potential misunderstanding? Well, Jay loves to make T charts with pros on one side and cons on the other. Write down your side of the story and why you are right (pros). Then take the other person's side. List the cons by making their point. After you're done, what do you end up with? Two individuals with life experiences unique only to them. No one can think what we think or respond as we respond. Let it go. Pray about it. Then make that phone call, walk into the next room, or send an email. Go ahead, do it now. Resolve misunderstanding with love in your heart. 

Thank you, Lord, for encouraging me to resolve conflict quickly and with love. Man, this stuff is not easy but the end result is a beautiful gift You designed just for me.

God bless,

Bonnie


No comments: