Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Gospel Thoughts Today: When Fear Controls Your Behavior

People who know me well, know I don't like surprises. I am a researcher by nature, and can find out just about anything with a little effort. I assess every situation I encounter with worst case/best case scenarios. It's a defense mechanism I have developed over the years. My brain automatically deciphers potential outcomes, good and bad. Although I look for the good, it doesn't take long for the warning sirens to go off when something doesn't feel right. If I find physical evidence of anything I suspect, well, let's just say it's hard to control the urge to confront the offender. Tough love has its place. Being a part of this apostolate has taught me to look past the offense to the wounded little boy or girl who is offending. To stop worrying about what others think or say about me. Jesus knows the truth, and fear doesn't come from Him. Fear causes people to act out of character when they let it overwhelm them. And can cause a little damage when allowed to fester. Once you allow evil in, it begins taking up residence if you let it. So, what am I afraid of? Other than swimming in the ocean with sharks, nothing. Worst case scenario on earth is you die . . . which in fact is the best case scenario when you are on track for heaven!

In todays Gospel (Mark 3:1-6), the Pharisees witness a miracle, yet fear prods them to plot against Jesus:

Jesus entered the synagogue. There was a man there who had a withered hand. They watched Jesus closely to see if he would cure him on the sabbath so that they might accuse him. He said to the man with the withered hand, “Come up here before us.” Then he said to the Pharisees, “Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?” But they remained silent. Looking around at them with anger and grieved at their hardness of heart, Jesus said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out and his hand was restored. The Pharisees went out and immediately took counsel with the Herodians against him to put him to death.

In Volume Four, Jesus the King gives us the answer to living without fear:

"My children, I am giving you the antidote for grief, for fear, and for anxiety. When you remain in the present, viewing the world with My eyes and from My viewpoint, you have little to concern yourselves with aside from serving Me and allowing Me to work through you. This is the answer to the ills and darkness of your modern world. It is something that requires practice, it is true. But, like any habit, it becomes something quite easy once you are accustomed to doing it. I want each soul to know Me. I can give you this knowledge of Me if you want it but you must allow Me to do so."

Lay apostles, think about a situation which made you angry or uncomfortable. Write it down. And then ponder why it was so upsetting. Worried about losing your job? Your spouse? Your life? Then, as Jesus says in the quote from Volume Four above, view everything through His Eyes. See the fear the enemy is swirling through your head and know, without a doubt, God is in control . . . and we must let Him have it!

Thank you, Lord, for showing me my fears are only my lack of focus on You. Help me to remain in constant communication with You in all matters, allowing You to lead me!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: