Monday, January 22, 2018

Gospel Thoughts Today: Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say

A few years ago when my oldest daughter was visiting, we began reminiscing about teenage years.  Never a dull moment with three girls! Of course, with me being the fourth female in the house, it seemed every week one of us experiencing our "monthly" visit from . . . well, you know what I mean. Someone was always a little cantankerous. Foul language was not permitted (although it would slip out once in a while with a defiant look on their faces!). But the slips of foul language didn't upset me like the phrase "I hate you." Mallorie and I laughed as she remembered my reaction when she hurled those horrible words at me the first time. She said my face got red, and in a raised voice (although she would say I was screaming!) said "I never want to hear that come out of your mouth again! You do not hate me, you love me. I am your mother!" She said my reaction to "I hate you" was the most intense reaction compared to anything she ever got in trouble for.  I know she didn't hate me. And I wanted her (and her sisters) to know we were not the kind of family who used the "hate" word. After all, hate is from the evil one. He wants nothing more than to draw you away from the love of God. I can't remember if Mal only said it that first time or used it when she really wanted to make me angry, but I know we all love each other and are as close as a mother and her daughters can be.  Remember, say what you mean. And, mean what you say.

In today's Gospel (Mark 3:22-30), Jesus warns us to be careful what we say:

The scribes who had come from Jerusalem said of Jesus,  “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “By the prince of demons he drives out demons.”

Summoning them, he began to speak to them in parables,  “How can Satan drive out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house is divided against itself,  that house will not be able to stand. And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided,  he cannot stand;  that is the end of him. But no one can enter a strong man’s house to plunder his property  unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can plunder his house.  Amen, I say to you, all sins and all blasphemies  that people utter will be forgiven them. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit  will never have forgiveness,  but is guilty of an everlasting sin.” For they had said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

In the Monthly Message of July 2005, Jesus requests we lead our youth directly to Him by our actions and words:

"Today I cry out to young people. Young souls are the cherished jewels in the Kingdom of God on earth. The formation of these souls must be treated with reverence. Each individual in the Kingdom bears a responsibility to young souls, even if it is simply through setting an example of Christian living. Dear children of God, you are accountable for the impact of your actions and each sin carries an impact, however unnoticeable. Search your life and you will discover where I am asking you to assist young people. Many children live in families lacking a parent. Perhaps I am asking you to share your Christianity with those children in order to be a role model. Dear souls, in most cases, young people learn how to be adults by watching others. So your life, the model of your living out your walk with Me, has impact. Your life can be something which a child can measure sin against. Think of a holy person you knew while you were growing up. Now remember back to a time when you saw others committing acts that were unholy. Did you not recognize that these acts would not be acceptable to this holy person? Sometimes it is simply speech. There are certain people near whom you will be careful about what you say. I am asking you to become one of those people. I want others to take note of your presence and know that Jesus should not be insulted. I want others to understand that your Church should not be unjustly vilified in your presence. In short, I want others to know that when you are present, I am present. They will then use you as the standard against which they measure their actions. You must stand for Me."

Lay apostles, carefully choose your words around our young people. Every once in a while, something comes out of my mouth which I regret immediately.  I am working on eradicating it from my vocabulary. How about you?

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me to be careful with words. Help me to promote You with what I say, not evil's agenda.

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: