Friday, August 11, 2017

Gospel Words Today: Exchange

Humidity and flat ironed curly hair just don't mix. I leave the house with nice straight hair (which took about 40 minutes to create!) and within minutes I can feel my hair expanding . . . visions of Pepe, my childhood French Poodle immediately come to mind!

I have spent the past two days watching two of my grandchildren, ages 5 and 3. One thing I can always expect out of my granddaughter when she comes to our house . . . "Mimi, playground please?" Which means our swingset in the backyard. Now for those of you not living in SW Florida, it is about 90 degrees with about 80% humidity right now. This is the time of year we avoid extended periods outside. But with her sweet little face looking at me, how can I refuse? Well, I never do refuse and choose to suffer the curly hair fate. In exchange, I am blessed immensely with their love and joy. I would endure anything for these children just as Jesus asks us to weather the storm for Him. Life will bring with it suffering. We have a choice . . . focus on Christ or focus on the world. I chose Christ!




In today's Gospel (Matthew 16:24-28), Jesus asks us to endure suffering on earth in His Name . . . and our reward will be great in heaven:

Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life? For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father’s glory, and then he will repay each according to his conduct. Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his Kingdom.”

In Volume Two, Jesus shows us by focusing on Him instead of ourselves, we can bring His love and kindness to others:

"If you are hurried, you will miss My cue and the soul will remain without necessary consolation and guidance. Children, this is the state of affairs all over your world at this time. Do you notice that loneliness and despair are everywhere? Children, you will not find loneliness and despair where I am. Indeed, even in the most wretched of circumstances, if I am present, you will see eyes that smile and offer kindness, and you will see great hope, even in the face of suffering and death. So what is missing in your world? I am missing. Few souls allow Me to work through them. When I am allowed, you will see hope begin to flourish again. Faces will be more at peace and joy will flow naturally from one soul to another. I will put such joy in your faces that you will be unable to conceal your unity with Me. Crosses will feel lighter and hold great meaning. Children, I have so much to offer you, both in these words and in My constant presence in your lives. So do not turn away, even for a day. Draw closer to Me, that We may proceed. What feels difficult to you, anticipating changes in your life, will come easily. That is another promise I make to you."

Lay apostles, how do you endure suffering? Loneliness? Tragedy? I used to try to handle it alone. Now, I couldn't do it without Him. Maybe it's my age . . . but I sure wish I would have had the Volumes 40 years ago. I don't think I would have sweat the small stuff as much.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me about true suffering and letting go of insignificant inconveniences. I haven't perfected it yet, but I am learning!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: