Monday, August 21, 2017

Gospel Thought Today: It's Just Stuff

My purse collection is extensive. Maybe not the volume of Imelda Marcos (after she and her family fled Malacanan Palace, they found 1,000 handbags left behind!), but I have accumulated a nice assemblage in an array of colors. One thing you must know, I don't collect designer bags. I go for cheap and unique. If Macy's is having a 60% off sale and I have an extra 20% off coupon . . . well, let's just say I love a good deal. But as much as I delight in the rainbow displayed on hooks in my closet, I would give any of them away in a heartbeat. One insight (among many) I have taken away from this apostolate is detaching from worldly possessions in order to focus on accumulating heavenly assets. This is an easy task when we are talking about handbags. But what about our homes? Our cars? What would we do if our creature comforts were taken away? Well, whine and complain a bit, I suppose. Perhaps fear would ensnare our minds causing unethical decisions to be made in order to retrieve what we had lost. I'm not saying give up everything you have worked hard to achieve. I'm saying don't place such a high value on material things you can't take with you . . . after all, it's just stuff.

In today's Gospel (Matthew 19:16-22), Jesus honestly answers what appears to be a simple question:

A young man approached Jesus and said, "Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?" He answered him, "Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He asked him, "Which ones?" And Jesus replied, "You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; honor your father and your mother; and you shall love your neighbor as yourself." The young man said to him, "All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?" Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

In the February 2005 Monthly Message, Jesus provides guidance in regard to possessions on earth:

"I wish to tell the world of My love. Dearest children of God, you will be welcomed in heaven. You have a family here who prepares for your arrival. Each soul on earth is steadily making progress in their earthly journey in that you are steadily approaching the end of your life, even if you will live to a very old age. If we begin with that thought, My next thought will make even more sense to you: I wish you to consider what it is you will bring Me when I come for you. Will you bring Me kindness to others? Will you bring Me service to your family? Will you bring Me a duty fulfilled in obedience and dignity? You see, little souls, I will not ask you for your material possessions because they will have no value here, unless you use these possessions to help others. Only then can material possessions acquire heavenly value. I have placed you in the world to serve. I am with you in each day but you must also be with Me. Dearest children, ask Me for guidance and I will tell you how I wish you to serve."

Lay apostles, are you placing a higher value on your material possessions than on your spouse or children? On accumulating rather than loving? What's the worst thing that could happen if you lost a treasured item? You would be sad; you would miss it; and then life goes on, right? Why spend precious time and energy fretting over "things" when there are plenty of people around us needing kindness and love? 

Thank you, Lord, for showing me earthly "things" aren't as important as love and kindness. Continue to place people in my life to love and show accumulating heavenly virtues is much more important than handbags!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: