Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Gospel Word Today: Weeds

Anyone who knows me well, knows I am a Kelly Clarkson fan. I have loved her music since she appeared on the first season of American Idol. Actually, I got to know every lyric to every song on her second album, Breakaway, when my youngest daughter went through a tough high school breakup years ago. The minute she would get in the car, the request was to blast Kelly. Eventually, all she had to do on emotional days was get in the car and say, "It's a Kelly day." I knew exactly what to do! Hence, when reading today's Gospel and saw the word "weeds," immediately my mind connected with a Kelly song called Sober. Here are a few of the lyrics:

I don't know
This could break my heart or save me
Nothing's real
Until you let go completely
So here I go with all my thoughts I've been saving
So here I go with all my fears weighing on me

Three months and I'm still sober
Picked all my weeds but kept the flowers
But I know it's never really over

The line bolded above describes exactly what we, as Christians, try to achieve every day . . . clean gardens, no weeds. Alas, as Kelly belts out above, it's never really over. We must remain alert and ready for battle every day we are on this earth, adorning ourselves with the armor of Jesus Christ and the Gospels. The Truth. Thank God I enjoy picking weeds . . . I have plenty to keep me busy!

I love the parable in today's Gospel (Matthew 13:36-43). An important reminder to sow good seeds:

Jesus dismissed the crowds and went into the house. His disciples approached him and said, "Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field." He said in reply, "He who sows good seed is the Son of Man, the field is the world, the good seed the children of the Kingdom. The weeds are the children of the Evil One, and the enemy who sows them is the Devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. Just as weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his Kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears ought to hear."

In the Monthly Message from March 1, 2007, Jesus calms us by assuring He is by our side always:

"Be at peace in the place where you are spiritually and understand that I am ministering to you constantly there. Be also at peace that you must labour for holiness, moving constantly forward in virtue. I am with you. I take your willingness to serve and your willingness to become holier and truly I flow great things into your soul and into the world. I ask that each apostle find quiet during this time, allowing silence to prune the weeds that spring up in each day’s activity. We work together on your soul, as I have said, and I, Jesus, expect that there is work to be done. If I did not expect that your soul needed work, I would say that you had advanced far enough and I would take you to heaven. When you see the condition of your soul and you correctly identify that there is work to be done and projects to undertake, rejoice. Compare your soul to My soul and you will see a glimpse of the completion of this project. You must say, ‘Truly, I trust that Jesus will get me there if I follow Him.’ I will not abandon the project of your holiness. Neither should you. The personal holiness of each apostle is given my greatest attention because each project in the world flows from this project in individual souls. Do you understand? Are you at peace with this? I need you to become holier each day so that I can become more present in the world each day. If you are new to the walk to holiness, rejoice. You are welcome and you will flourish. If you have been walking toward holiness for many years, rejoice. You are valued and you are making progress. Through you, I renew the world. Rejoice. My plan for you and for the world is well underway."

Lay apostles, is it time for a little gardening in your soul today? Yesterday at Adoration, I had a little weeding to do. It's not always easy to admit where I am getting it wrong, but doing so allows Jesus to move His Plan forward through me. Take a little silent time today. Even just a few minutes. Ask Christ to help you become holier so He can "become more present in the world each day."

Thank you, Lord, for reminding me to keep my spiritual armor on at all times. When I seem to have forgotten to strap it on, gently remind me, ok?

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: