Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Gospel Word for Today: Remain

There is a Wilson-Phillips song called Hold On that came out in 1990.  It was the year I decided to pursue my BSN, was pretty much a single parent of three girls, my mother was preparing to move to Kansas so I could be a full-time student, and I acquired part-time employment on a locked psychiatry unit for some nursing experience. I remember driving to clinicals at 5am blasting Hold On, wondering how I was going to juggle so many balls without dropping one. I held on day after day, doing the best I could.  My faith in God, and the lyrics in the chorus of this song, gave me hope there was light at the end of the tunnel that year:

Don’t you know things can change
Things’ll go your way
If you hold on for one more day
Can you hold on for one more day
Things’ll go your way
Hold on for one more day

Guess what?   Things did and do eventually go my way (well, His way!) . . . despite chaos popping up every now and then.  The point is, today may seem dark and stormy, but hold on for one more day. Remain centered in each day, not the future, not the past. Remember to call on Jesus when you need a little encouragement in the hope department. He is ready, willing and able to send the graces you need to wake up tomorrow and guide you to greener pastures.

In today's Gospel (John 15:1-8), Jesus asks us to remain focused on Him:

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me.

In Anne a lay apostle's book The Mist of Mercy, Jesus assures us by following Him today, He will see to our service tomorrow:

“My little ones see My plan for them in the present moment. At times My little ones underestimate how I intend to use them in the future. This is acceptable, of course, because it is best if a serving apostle remains focused on the day in which he finds himself. Let Me assure you, though, that the level of service I can gain from you tomorrow and in every tomorrow that I grant you, is directly affected by the level of cooperation I gain from you today. If you serve Me in completeness today, you can be assured that I am preparing you for even greater service tomorrow. It is all about practice, after all. You must practice being holy. My dear friends, My apostles, do not be afraid of tomorrow, regardless of what occurs today. My plan is detailed and accounts for everything. I will care for My beloved friends and their loved ones. I am God. I am all powerful. You cannot place too much trust in Me because I will always outperform your greatest expectations. Serve completely in today, My friends, and I will use you even more effectively tomorrow. Trust your Jesus. I will protect you.”

Yes, Jesus outperforms all my greatest expectations.  So, lay apostles, hold on for one more day.  Remain steadfast in your faith. Go to Adoration.  Pray the Rosary. Read a Volume or Heaven Speaks booklet. Jesus is waiting for you . . .

Thank you, Lord, for inviting me to an intimate relationship with You through the daily Bible readings and the Direction for Our Times apostolate.  Continue to guide my service to You in the right direction, come tomorrow.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: