Thursday, May 18, 2017

Gospel Word for Today: Joy

A few years ago our family went to the Broadway Palm Dinner Theater to see The Music Man. Believe it or not, I was the only one out of the six of us who had seen the movie! Grant it, our girls and son-in-law were all under 30 at the time, so no surprise. But my darling husband had no clue what it was about! My mom loved musicals, so I even knew the words to a few of the songs. The song Shipoopi was the biggest hit for my family as anything with the word "poopi" (in any form) will remind us all of my mother and her use of that word! It was such a joy-filled night, all of us singing in the car on the way home. We are connected. Not only by blood, but by love, laughter, and faith. Staying connected with our Father in heaven is what binds us all here on earth. Connect with Him first . . . then everything else falls into place.

Today's Gospel (John 15:9-11) is the starting point in our journey toward heaven . . . live your life with joy, connected to God at all times:

Jesus said to his disciples: “As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.

“I have told you this so that my joy might be in you and your joy might be complete.”


In Volume One, our Blessed Mother encourages us to focus on our families and find joy in our time with them:

"I want my children to begin detaching from the world. To do this, children, you must begin limiting the amount of time you spend watching television. There is no question that television has lured souls into a false world that distorts their view of reality. Very few programs depict characters who are appropriate role models for children of the light. Guidance will not be found on television and in many instances, children are misled and damaged from exposure. My children, also limit your time shopping. Buy necessities and keep your focus to family and duty. Live a healthy life, limiting entertainment. Opt for prayer and reflection. Soon you will not miss these things and you will correctly count them as so many nothings. Spend time with your family, walking, talking, and enjoying those things created by God. Set an example of quietness. Study the saints and the lives of holy souls. You have a great many spiritual comrades and your number increases by the hour. Truly, you will begin to see this, and it will strengthen you. Bloom where you are planted, little soul, unless Jesus directs otherwise."

Lay apostles, take a moment to look at your life so far. Are you estranged from your parents? Your children? An old friend? If you answered yes, then take a look at your connection with Christ. Is it first and foremost? Probably not. Choose to be connected with Him today. Then think about those other relationships. Love as He loves us.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of faith and the amazing connection I have with my family. The closer I get to You, the more connected I feel to others.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: