Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Gospel Word for Today: Glorified

The word "glorified" jumped out at me today in the Gospel. First thing, I wanted to see how the word is defined. Dictionary.com gives these definitions:

1. to cause to be or treat as being more splendid, excellent, etc., than would normally be considered.
2. to honor with praise, admiration, or worship; extol.

This is my question (to myself and my readers): Do we glorify ourselves more than God? Are we purporting how great we are or all the good things we do to others without giving glory to God for our achievements? That's a tough one. We all like to feel we contribute to making this a better world. But what about if those good works aren't recognized by anyone? The answer is simple. God is within us. Continue glorifying Him, even if that means He is the only one seeing your good deeds.Ultimately, He is the only One I strive to please. I am grateful for the words of Christ today . . . a reminder to stay focused on my path to eternity.

Jesus is pretty clear in today's Gospel (John 14:6-14):

Jesus said to Thomas, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him." Philip said to him,  "Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.  Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it."

In the Monthly Message of May 2009, Jesus encourages us to be humble in order to glorify God:

"How often have I called you ‘My little apostles’? Have I ever called you ‘My big apostles’? Why do you think it is that I call you ‘little’? I will tell you. It is because each apostle, by his desire to serve, becomes little. He becomes little so that God can be glorified. If a person is serving Me, that person desires only My glory. If a person is serving Me, he desires to be seen as a servant of men, not as a master of men. In the case of leaders, this desire for humility must be even more pronounced lest the leader begin to believe that he himself is leading, as opposed to My great hope which is that I, Jesus, am leading through the man. I intend to send leaders during this time. You will know them by their spirit of service. You will know them by their humility. You will know them because they will help you to think of Me and what I need from you. No man is entitled to the glory reserved for God. No man is worthy of this glory. I only speak in this way today so that each man will consider his call to service as a call to holiness. I want each man to give credit to Me for the good that I allow to come through him into the world. Do you understand, little apostles? I am reminding you that all good comes from Me so that you will not be tempted to pride by the great fruits I send through your service and your commitment to Me. It is important that every apostle examine himself for signs and symptoms of pride. I ask this of you in a serious way today. We, together, are ushering in a time of grace, and graces will be apparent, not through your power but through Mine. Little apostles, do not believe that Jesus is scolding you. I am not. I am helping you to examine yourself to prevent difficulties, both for your holiness and for My plan. I will help you in this each day if you ask Me. Ask Me to send an outpouring of the Spirit to you whenever you are afraid that pride is troubling you. I will do this for you because I love you and because pride makes you so terribly sad. Pride is the great devourer of joy. You, My beautiful apostles, are entitled to joy and I send My joy to you today. All is well. We work together to perfect your soul."

Lay apostles, sometimes when we don't feel good about ourselves, our lives, or our choices, we tend to want to shout our "good deeds" to those who will listen. Next time we feel this need, how about glorifying God instead? In glorifying Him, we heal ourselves.

Thank you, Lord, for lessons as in today's Gospel and the Monthly Message which refocus my thoughts and words.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: