Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Gospel Words: Holding On

There are just some things hard to let go of at times . . . past hurts, ego, mistakes made, traumatic events. When I read the Gospel today, I started thinking about the depth of the wounds now healing in my heart. Instead of holding on to anger, pride or mistrust, through Christ, I can look past offenders to the fact I have been the offender periodically in my lifetime. I know I have never done anything mean intentionally (well, maybe when I was young and my little sister wouldn't give me my Barbie back!). But if I have hurt someone, especially someone I love, I want them to forgive me, not hold on to the hurt for years as we all have seen, heard of or experienced in families. Instead of holding on to the unpleasant memories, I try to view them as imperfect people making imperfect decisions . . . myself included. And that is my prayer when they think of me. Placing Christ in the forefront, I have better clarity gazing through His Eyes.

In today's Gospel (John 20:11-18), Jesus tells us to let go of earthly attachments:

Mary Magdalene stayed outside the tomb weeping. And as she wept, she bent over into the tomb and saw two angels in white sitting there, one at the head and one at the feet where the Body of Jesus had been. And they said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said to them, "They have taken my Lord, and I don't know where they laid him." When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus there, but did not know it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?
Whom are you looking for?" She thought it was the gardener and said to him, "Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him." Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabbouni,"  which means Teacher. Jesus said to her, "Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, 'I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'" Mary went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and then reported what he had told her.

I love the following from Staying in Place . . . it's time to move onward and upward:

"The offenders abused the power that came with representing God. Note that we gave them the power, which speaks to our need for development, too.

There now. A deep breath must be taken by all and a new way found. We must seek a new way. What is the past is the past and those who cling to it soon wither because it no longer feeds. Those who preach it find few takers because it no longer inspires. The Gospel message is always fresh, as stated. We can all look back with today’s knowledge and perhaps find little spots where we, too, got it wrong, perhaps in actions which, while not elevating to the criminal level, lacked mercy and honest human expression and thus distorted God. We must all accept our collective need for development, along with our faith expression. What was enough in the past now must be updated because it is no longer enough to hold the love that is God. We have to ‘up our game’ and be more mindful of integrating our humanity with our Christianity. That means that ugly behavior is ugly behavior and we should call ourselves on it instead of spiritualizing it. Because we can all point to a person or a group of people and say, ‘If that is the Catholic Church, count me out.’ There is actually a case to be made that if a ship is sinking, you jump in a mechanism for survival that has been hard wired.


However, and this is a big however, all families are dysfunctional to some degree and our faith family has predictably proven itself no different. While some need to leave to heal, some need to stay to repair and recover the family, sweep up the glass, face the neighbors and yes, deal with any outstanding legal matters, may the Lord bless our bishops."

Lay apostles, what past sins or hurts or opinions are you holding on to? First, ask yourself WHY you are holding on to them. When you figure out the WHY, contemplate where Jesus fits into the equation. There is a wonderful little book called Thoughtful Men and Women of God: A Guide to Contemplative Prayer to assist you in the healing process. It is time well spent with Our Lord. Give it a try. It's time to stop holding on and begin living your life for Christ!

Thank you, Lord, for the ability to heal the wounds acquired over my lifetime.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: