Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Childlike or Childish - What's the Difference?

A full bright moon on a clear starry night still enchants me. Yellow flowers of any type fill me with joy. Kisses and hugs from our grandbabies is a little piece of heaven on earth. I love singing my favorite songs cranked up as loud as I can tolerate (not quite the volume I blared when I was 18!). Yes, I can be childlike finding beauty, wonder and excitement all around me. Doesn't God ask this of us? To enjoy and love all He has created? But some confuse childlike with childish. The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of childlike is as follows: resembling, suggesting, or appropriate to a child or childhood; especially: marked by innocence, trust, and ingenuousness (childlike delight). And the definition of childish: marked by or suggestive of immaturity and lack of poise (a childish spiteful remark). Two very different definitions. One bringing you closer to God while the other pulls you further away.

In todays Gospel (Matthew 11:25-27), Jesus informs us of the benefits of childlike behavior:

At that time Jesus exclaimed: “I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

In Volume Four, Jesus the King clearly paints a picture of what childlike behavior looks like:

“In this time of change, you must walk in the light with determination. Children do not often fear because they rely on their parents for everything. When they face a problem, they run to their parents and place the problem with their parents, running off again to continue with their childlike pursuits. Take heed, dear ones. This is what we ask of you at this time. And we ask this for your own peace. This is the way to proceed during this time of change and transition. Soon, it will come naturally to you and you will have no need to remind yourself each day. I have asked My children to practice their faith and by that I mean continued acts of trust when trust would seem difficult and there is a temptation toward fear and distress. You must say, “I have given this to my Father in heaven. God wants to protect me so I will take full advantage of my Parentage and allow Him to do so. In this way, I am mentally liberated and can do the work my Father wills for me in freedom. My concentration should be on each task that is placed in front of me, never worrying about the past, never worrying about the future.”

Lay apostles, if you have lost all innocence and struggle understanding how to become childlike in the eyes of God, go outside tonight and marvel at the moon, a sunset, a smile from a loved one, anything. Thank Him for the beauty He surrounds us with on earth. Thank Him for His protection, His mercy and great love of all creation. Make it a daily habit. All of the sudden you will begin fearing less and praying more. And marveling at the sunshine a yellow flower can create on a cloudy day . . .


(an old pic of our grandson Connor in the background - he is now 3!)

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me how to be childlike again. You have surrounded me with so much love and beauty!


God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: