Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mischievous Activity

We laugh about it now, but when my girls were teens, it sometimes infuriated them. I'm talking about my response when they wanted to go somewhere with friends, attend an event, or stay out later than curfew.  When my answer was no, it usually didn't stop there. After a few times of "pleaaaasssseee, Mom," they would say it. "(Insert name of friend)'s mom said she could do it!"  My response every time, "Well I'm not (friend)'s mom!"  They were not too happy and knew it was a losing battle at that point. As adults, my daughters now understand I was protecting them, trying to prevent mischievous activity before it began. They got away with some things . . . things I didn't find out about until bridal showers with some of those high school friends in attendance!  All we can do is pray we are teaching our children to uphold Christ-like morals. As hard as we try to guide them down the right path, life happens. Understand we are all sinners. Our children included. As parents, uphold rules . . . lovingly, calmly (something I learned over time!).  And, forgive quickly. We have all been there in one way or another!

In Mondays Gospel (Luke 17:1-6) Jesus shows us by the mere fact we live on this earth we are destined to sin. Let's just try not to take others with us:

Jesus said to his disciples, "Things that cause sin will inevitably occur, but woe to the one through whom they occur. It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck
and he be thrown into the sea than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. And if he wrongs you seven times in one day and returns to you seven times saying, 'I am sorry,' you should forgive him." 
And the Apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith." The Lord replied, "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you."

In Volume One, the Blessed Mother assures us despite our mischievous past, we are forgiven if we ask:


"We must help souls to realize that it is time to come back to Jesus now. Time is short. There is no other way to say that. I want all souls to convert in the silence of their hearts and Jesus and I will lead them by the hand. No harm shall come upon them if they turn to us in their hearts. My heart is soft and forgiving. Like any good mother, I forget the mistakes of my children almost immediately. I can help poor sinners to forgive themselves and seek the forgiveness of my Son, a forgiveness that heals and strengthens. Sinners must not be afraid. They must simply close their eyes and say, ‘God, I have made mistakes. I’m sorry. I am Your child, though, and seek to be united to You.’ My child, all of heaven weeps for joy when even one soul makes this act of humility and love. How we rush in to assist this soul, and protect him from the attacks of the evil one. We nurture and guide this soul until he is back walking the path to Christ with confidence. Don’t be afraid, dear souls. You will find no recriminations. Only love."


Lay apostles, pray the words Our Lady gives us in the quote above. Ask it with a sincere heart and you will be amazed at the graces which will flow in abundance. Evaluate your circumstances and if you are behaving in a manner which could lead others into sin, stop. You can do it. Begin by asking Christ for forgiveness, then lead by example. 

Thank you, Lord, for the ability to step back and assess my behavior in addition to those around me observing it. Help me to continue healing and growing stronger being united to You always.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: