Thursday, November 29, 2012

Adlibbing

Speaking in front of large crowds is something I enjoy.  But only if I know the subject well. I create an outline of main points to keep me on track. And I never rehearse. I don't stand in front of a mirror and practice my speech the night before. I am an "adlibber." A long time ago (in college) I tried writing out my entire speech and memorizing it.  Yeah, not so wonderful when you forget a sentence and your entire brain is searching for what comes next! Let's just say I learned to know my subject well enough to adlib!


Yesterdays Gospel (Luke 21:12-19) made me think about when my faith in Christ is challenged. I am horrible at quoting the Bible, but I remember the stories. I trust He will put the right words into my head when needed, but boy do I want to control what comes out, and I want it to sound eloquent! Jesus has other ideas:

Jesus said to the crowd: "They will seize and persecute you, they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons, and they will have you led before kings and governors because of my name. It will lead to your giving testimony. Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand, for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute. You will even be handed over by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends, and they will put some of you to death. You will be hated by all because of my name, but not a hair on your head will be destroyed. By your perseverance you will secure your lives."

In Anne a lay apostle's book Whispers From the Cross, she points out the importance of paying attention to our adlibbing: 


"There are times when our work requires speech. At those times we should speak and that is our prayer. The difficulty comes with useless talking, pointless communications which then become another distraction offered by God’s enemy to take our hearts from the contemplation of Him. In moments of useless communication when we are not in communion with Jesus, the enemy can come with temptation. Our talk is then subject to a dark influence. Our talk can then become subject to the enemy’s plan. In many ways and on many occasions we have furthered the plan of Satan through talking and other forms of communication that are not willed by heaven. Better we be mute than assist Satan in tearing down what the Lord attempts to build."

Lay apostles, when I found the above quote from Anne this morning, something became quite clear.  Everything that comes out of my mouth should be like a prayer . . . no gossip, no negative humor, no complaining. And, like prayer, honesty, love, kindness and understanding. It's what Christ gives us, so we must give the same to others. So today, speak as if you are praying to Jesus. It's hard, but it's all about baby steps!

Thank you, Lord, for illuminating me with Anne's words today.  I will continue to improve myself and what comes out of my mouth.  I'm going to need a lot of help with the adlibbing!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: