Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Gospel Thoughts Today: Take the Time

Motherhood. So much to do, so little time to do it all. And when there are multiple children involved, hours seem like minutes. As mothers, we try to keep everyone happy. Most of us are pleasers at heart. We cook, clean, bandage up scraped knees, and stop arguments between siblings. We love, cry, and brush off the words "I hate you" from a teenager's mouth. We are so busy with life, sometimes we forget to enjoy it. Since the births of our four grandchildren, I see things differently. I wish I would have read more to my girls; extended our Barbie play sessions; and taken more walks enjoying nature. During this whole "pandemic," I have latched on to opportunities to play with my grandchildren . . . via FaceTime! My grandson loves to play Yatzee and since we both have the game in our homes, it was easy to play virtually. Barbies via FaceTime? Heck yeah! I have a bunch of Barbies at my house as does my granddaughter at her house. We spent most of the time changing doll clothes from casual to ball gowns. The best part? Hearing my sweet girl's Scottish accent as she changed clothes for her Merida doll from the Disney movie Brave! Priceless.

Over the course of about 4 weeks, it had become a daily event with the kids. Each time I sat playing with my beautiful babies one on one, the same thought crossed my mind over and over . . . thank you, Lord, for this grace and blessing of grandchildren. I am so grateful we are back to "Mimi" days every week where I get to hug and kiss these little angels in person!

Mothers and fathers (and grandparents, aunts and uncles), take the time while your children are young. Don't miss the small stuff because you have to check email or update your Facebook status. Focus on your family. Help build the Kingdom of God!

The Gospel (Luke 10:38-42) today is one we must remember when believing we need to make sure everyone else is happy:

Jesus entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me." The Lord said to her in reply, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her."

In Heaven Speaks About Stress, Jesus tells us to slow down:

"My children, why do you hurry so? Why do you feel you must move so quickly through your days? This is not the way I intended the children of God to live. You may tell Me that you have many things to do. I respond to you by saying that you are trying to do too much. You will not be holy if you move so quickly. I want My beloved apostles to move more slowly and thoughtfully through their days. I want you to make decisions on what I am asking you to do and what you are busying yourself with that is not from Me. I want your way of life to change and I am asking you to make this change now. In the next week, think about each activity and decide, with Me, if it is something I want you to do or something you want to do. My dearest apostles, I ask that you begin to remove activities that do not further My will. I want more time in silence, as you know. I want more time with families, without noise blocking you from each other. I want prayer, yes, but also conversations that are not hurried and stressed between husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, and parents and children. These are the souls I have decided you will walk through your life with and you have obligations to them. If you are too busy with your own will, you are not seeing to Mine and you are missing opportunities both to learn from others and to assist others in learning about Me."

Lay apostles, serve where you need to serve. But, if you are presented with opportunities to spend a few minutes with Christ in prayer, your children, grandchildren or spouse, leave the dishes in the sink (or whatever distraction detains you). What can you do today to make a memory? Remember, even God can't change the past.

Thank you, Lord, for showing me the importance of slowing down, focusing more on You and less on distractions that don't further Your Kingdom.

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: