Monday, July 15, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: A Mother's Love

Jay's mother is a Godsend. "Nana" is 89 years old and we both belong to the mutual admiration society. We've decided we are kindred souls. Every Friday she is our last stop before heading home for the weekend. I treasure every minute. She is funny, brilliant, and loves Jesus! And, she loves/treats me as a daughter.

Time evaporates quickly on Friday afternoons with Nana . . . it never seems like I have enough time with her. We hug and kiss a few times before I even get close to the door. Jay is usually outside starting the car by the time I say my last "I love you, Nana!" Her response every time is "I love you more!"

She has blessed my life beyond all belief. She inspires me to love and trust Christ with everything I encounter in life . . . to strive for the peacefulness 89 years on this earth has brought her. I know she reads my blog every time I post something new, so I just want to say . . . NANA, I LOVE YOU MORE!!!

Todays Gospel (Matthew 10:34–11:1) is a lesson for all of us to love God . . . most:

Jesus said to his Apostles: “Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s enemies will be those of his household.

“Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

“Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. Whoever receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever receives a righteous man because he is righteous will receive a righteous man’s reward. And whoever gives only a cup of cold water to one of these little ones to drink because he is a disciple–amen, I say to you, he will surely not lose his reward.”

When Jesus finished giving these commands to his Twelve disciples, he went away from that place to teach and to preach in their towns.

In Anne a lay apostle's book Lessons in Love, the path to God is clear:

"Jesus offers us gifts of forgiveness and healing but we must accept these gifts. Let others continue on the path of rebellion and confusion. We will turn sharply now, at this moment, and walk into the Lord’s heart completely, where there is mercy and healing. This is the only way for us if we desire heaven. Jesus will take us to His Father and say, 'Look, Father, there is love for Me on earth. I am welcome in the soul of this apostle.' This is the right way for us. We must turn away from the world and its shame and walk with Jesus."

Lay apostles, look around you. Despite what is happening in the world, do you see the love God feels for you? Love in the form of a daughter's smile, a grandson's hug, an encouraging word from a mother-in-law? Do you take the time to thank Him for the little things? It's like the Tea Cup ride at Disneyworld . . . you spin around and around until the ride stops. Vertigo occurs the minute your feet touch the ground (at least it does for me!). The last thing I want to do is stagger around the park, feeling nauseated. Instead, I sit down (preferably in air conditioning!) and get centered again. Within minutes, I am ready for the next adventure. That's how it works with God . . . get centered on Him, love Him with all your heart, love Him most. In doing this, we develop the ability to see good in a dark world.

Thank you, Lord, for Nana. I am forever grateful You found me worthy of a mother's love such as this.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: