Monday, July 8, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Calm From Music

Music has always been calming to me . . . during times of stress, sadness and joy.  After reading today's Gospel, it brought back a memory, clear as day, how a song on the radio opened my eyes just a little wider. As I was changing sheets on our bed one day, I popped on my bedside radio (set on a station playing 70s and 80s music). A song I hadn't heard in ages came on, "Believe It or Not" (sung by Joey Scarbury) from a TV series in the early 80s called The Greatest American Hero. I loved that show! But especially loved the theme song. As I started singing the lyrics (yes, I knew every word!), overwhelming joy and peace came over me. This is my life now . . . this is the grace Jesus has given me for trying my best to serve in faith as a lay apostle while on this earth. Don't get me wrong, there are always going to be bumps in the road. But, as long as He is by my side, I am able to navigate through any difficulties placed on my path! Here are the wonderful lyrics I couldn't seem to get out of my head that morning (and, will be on repeat in my head today!):

Look at what's happened to me, 
I can't believe it myself. 
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world, 
It should've been somebody else. 

Believe it or not, 
I'm walking on air. 
I never thought I could feel so free-. 
Flying away on a wing and a prayer. 
Who could it be? 
Believe it or not it's just me. 

It's like a light of a new day-, 
It came from out of the blue. 
Breaking me out of the spell I was in, 
Making all of my wishes come true-. 

Believe it or not, 
I'm walking on air. 
I never thought I could feel so free-. 
Flying away on a wing and a prayer. 
Who could it be? 
Believe it or not it's just me.

Today's Gospel (Matthew 9:18-26) demonstrates the freedom we all can obtain when we truly believe:

While Jesus was speaking, an official came forward, knelt down before him, and said, “My daughter has just died. But come, lay your hand on her, and she will live.” Jesus rose and followed him, and so did his disciples. A woman suffering hemorrhages for twelve years came up behind him and touched the tassel on his cloak. She said to herself, “If only I can touch his cloak, I shall be cured.” Jesus turned around and saw her, and said, “Courage, daughter! Your faith has saved you.” And from that hour the woman was cured.

When Jesus arrived at the official’s house and saw the flute players and the crowd who were making a commotion, he said, “Go away! The girl is not dead but sleeping.” And they ridiculed him. When the crowd was put out, he came and took her by the hand, and the little girl arose. And news of this spread throughout all that land.

In Volume One, Jesus assures us He will open our eyes if we only ask:

"These words I bring you are more Good News. I want you to share these words as you would share the Good News. If you prepare a great banquet, filled with the finest of foods, you do not sit down alone to sample and enjoy it. You invite friends and loved ones to share and celebrate together. In the same way, I want you to share My words. I will secure the necessary permissions and then you must obey the promptings I place in your heart. All will be seen to. I require only your obedience. I send these words to call humanity back to the light. I, your God, will move swiftly when the time is right. It is My will that souls be prepared. This is a great mercy of Mine and I would not have humanity treat it lightly. Be assured, dear souls, that I will triumph. My glorious plan is already beginning and if you ask Me, I will remove the blinders from your eyes and awaken your soul from its lassitude with My divine touch. Only ask Me. I call you now and wish to draw you with love into My plan. Respond to Me with all of your energy and love."

Lay apostles, Jesus has given us directions that will lead us to Him and an eternity in heaven. Pick up a Volume (or download for free to the right), randomly read a page, then contemplate on what Jesus wants you to hear.

Thank you, Lord, for loving me so much and leading me to this apostolate. I never thought I could feel so free!

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: