Thursday, October 11, 2018

Gospel Word Today: Blessed by Friends

Karen . . . one of the most loving, kind, Catholic women I am blessed to call my close friend . . . a true sister in Christ. Despite struggles she is encountering right now, she remains positive and continues to persevere. I know she reads my blog, and I want to tell her: Karen, you are a beacon of light, facing your suffering with the will and determination I pray I emulate! The depth of faith it takes to trust in God's plan for us is a daunting task at times. Asking Him for the graces to withstand our challenges/struggles may be the easy part . . . acting on that trust He knows best is a daily spiritual workout and worth every minute trying to achieve. Although my spiritual muscles get a little sore once in a while, I believe the end result is life in eternity with our loving God! 

In the Gospel reading today (Luke 11:5-13), Jesus shows us God is ready and waiting to bestow His gifts upon us. All we have to do is ask:

Jesus said to his disciples: "Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,' and he says in reply from within, 'Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.' I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence.

"And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"


In Anne a lay apostle's book Climbing the Mountain, she challenges us to service:

"We must compare ourselves to Jesus in love of neighbor. Scripture gives us plenty of examples of the selflessness with which Jesus served His brothers and sisters. He was a dutiful Son to His mother and father. He was a good friend to His apostles. Jesus was kind to strangers and those ill and less fortunate. He was patient in the extreme with the flaws of others. He saw each soul as a soul who was somewhere on the mountain and He viewed them with the patience of a teacher, who knows that the total cannot be achieved without walking through the equation. Jesus gave others the room to grow in the light of His love. Are we doing that for others? Or do we constantly point out the deficits in the holiness of our companions? Souls loved Jesus and sought out His companionship. They sought His love and tolerance, His acceptance and steadiness. This is our call to those around us. We must always rejoice in the holiness of our companions. Rejoice in each bit of progress or any bit of hope for progress. This will give us joy and we will not spend all of our time lamenting the failures of those around us, which is really our own failure."

Lay apostles, what is it you need today? Hope? Encouragement?  Whatever it is, invite Jesus to be on your team. He so badly wants you to make Him a part of your life . . . not a passing thought. Walking with Jesus is like walking with gel inserts on a long hike . . . it's comfortable, easier, and motivates you to make it to your final destination!

Thank you, Lord, for good friends who encourage and support me through thick and thin. Please continue to alert me to others needs when I am distracted by my own.

God bless,
Bonnie







Jesus said to his disciples: “Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,’ and he says in reply from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.’ I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence.

“And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?”

No comments: