Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Gospel Thoughts Today: A Fighter Underneath

Christina Aguilera's song Fighter is one of my all-time favorites. The connotation of the lyrics has changed over time for me. Today, it makes me think of Jesus:

'Cause it
Makes me that much stronger
Makes me work a little bit harder
Makes me that much wiser
So thanks for making me a fighter

Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Makes me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter

Every lesson, every hurt, every joy, every fear has led me to who I am today. Because of God's love for me, I am a fighter for Christ. All that has occurred (and is occurring) in my life, difficult and easy, build my spiritual muscles . . . muscles needed to be a fighter! Have you flexed your spiritual muscles today?

Today's Gospel (Luke 13:22-30) is clear: if you don't acknowledge Jesus now while on earth, how is He to acknowledge you when knocking on heaven's door?

Jesus passed through towns and villages, teaching as he went and making his way to Jerusalem. Someone asked him, “Lord, will only a few people be saved?” He answered them,  “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough. After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door, then will you stand outside knocking and saying, ‘Lord, open the door for us.’ He will say to you in reply, ‘I do not know where you are from.’ And you will say, ‘We ate and drank in your company and you taught in our streets.’ Then he will say to you, ‘I do not know where you are from. Depart from me, all you evildoers!’ And there will be wailing and grinding of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and all the prophets in the Kingdom of God and you yourselves cast out. And people will come from the east and the west and from the north and the south and will recline at table in the Kingdom of God. For behold, some are last who will be first, and some are first who will be last.”

In the Monthly Message of November 2007, Jesus assures us as long as we continue fighting for Him, He will supply all the strength required:

"My beloved apostle, I understand your struggles. You are becoming holier and yet you do not think you are making progress. Dear one, can you accept that the holier you become, the more holiness you crave? Can you accept that the more you become aware of your own flaws, the more willing you are to accept flaws in others? I am at peace that you are coming to know Me better. Each day brings growth of some kind for you, even if that growth originates in mistakes acknowledged and corrected. I understand you, dear apostle. I know that on some days you are ready for the battle of holiness and that on some days you feel you are not strong enough for the battle. This is what I want to tell you. You rise each day and pledge your allegiance to the Father. This commitment of your day insures that your Father takes you each day in the condition He finds you. Each weakness is used to increase your humility and illuminate for you the path to transformation. Do not become discouraged by the need for improvement. If you but continue on the path you have embarked upon, you will experience greater holiness. It can be no other way because those who pledge allegiance to the Father are cared for in every detail. Our greatest goal for you is holiness because only in holiness will you find peace and joy."

Lay apostles, life is full of struggles, isn't it? My struggles might not look like yours but are just as difficult all the same. It would be easy to throw up my hands and quit, allow chaos to overcome my peace and joy. Evil is ready to pounce at any moment . . . that's why we must turn to Christ to strengthen us in times of distress. So exercise those spiritual muscles today. You may need to begin with a few light stretches . . . maybe an Our Father and Hail Mary will ease you into the full workout. Go ahead, start now. I just did!

Thank you, Lord, for all the strenuous workouts in my life. I only wish my physical muscles looked as strong as my spiritual muscles!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: