Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Gospel Thoughts Today: The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

What exactly is the "Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary?" The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops defines it as "The dogma which recognizes the Blessed Virgin Mary's singular participation in her Son's Resurrection by which she was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, when the course of her earthly life was finished."  Can you imagine what Mary must have felt knowing she carried Our Savior within her womb? A few words come to mind . . . humility, love, thankfulness, with a little bit of overwhelmed thrown in. God chooses wisely, lay apostles. Beginning with Mary, He knows exactly who He needs to carry messages of salvation to the world. We have been blessed over the years by the humility of our visionaries who have said "yes" to spreading God's love and words to a world in desperate need of salvation. Thank you, Mother Mary, for saying "yes" to God. And, thank you, Anne, for your "yes," sacrificing for Our Savior by giving up a normal life.  

Todays Gospel (Luke 1:39-56) shows the humility and obedience of Our Lady:

Mary set out and traveled to the hill country in haste to a town of Judah, where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the Holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.”

And Mary said:

“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my Savior for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant. From this day all generations will call me blessed: the Almighty has done great things for me and holy is his Name. He has mercy on those who fear him in every generation. He has shown the strength of his arm, and has scattered the proud in their conceit. He has cast down the mighty from their thrones, and has lifted up the lowly. He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. He has come to the help of his servant Israel for he has remembered his promise of mercy, the promise he made to our fathers, to Abraham and his children forever.”

Mary remained with her about three months and then returned to her home.

In Volume 8, Jesus reminds us how His Mother suffers as He does when souls reject Him:

"Dear children, just as I suffer at the distance many souls have placed between themselves and heaven, Our Mother also suffers. She, more than anyone, shared My Passion. She now shares My anguish at the loss of so many souls. I feel revulsion at the sins of this world. Our Mother shares this revulsion. You must understand that when you are glimpsing My heart, and My feelings, you are also glimpsing the Immaculate Heart of Mary. This precious and pure little heart beats with love and tenderness for each of us. Every soul is precious to Mary. I thank you for all of the little sacrifices that console Me. I want you to know that each prayer and sacrifice given for Me also consoles Our Mother. Great joy comes to Mary when souls give thanks and praise to Me. Truly, if you are devoted to My Mother, and I want you to be, work for Me and she will be happy with you. She seeks only My will and her active and powerful intercession in your world furthers My will in a spectacular fashion. She is the woman clothed with the sun, capable of vanquishing the enemy."

Lay apostles, Our Lady is a true intercessor for us on earth. My mother always said to say a prayer to Mary when in need . . . for what Son doesn't listen to His Mother? And remember, sometimes what we pray for may take a little longer to achieve . . . God's time, right? And, sometimes His answer is "no" for our own good. 

Thank you, Lord, for the intercession and motherly love of Our Lady You allow us. You are a Good Son!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: