Thursday, February 4, 2016

Lighten Up For The Journey

A few years ago, I lost my Platinum status on Delta Airlines. My previous employment required a great deal of traveling . . . my territory was the entire U.S. There were a few perks of being Platinum . . . automatic upgrades to first class if available and the fast lane at airport security. For frequent travelers, this is a huge benefit. Knowing I could get a cup of coffee before takeoff in my roomy seat up front made the long hauls a little easier to tolerate. But Platinum status used to mean flying over 75,000 miles in one year. In 2011, the time away from home was insignificant as I was single with no responsibilities other than myself. My dog of 16 years had died that April, two of my girls were married and my youngest daughter was on the other coast in college. I quit my traveling job that November to write full time. The joy of Platinum status lingered throughout 2012. When I think about that year and losing the Platinum status, I am reminded of all the miracles in 2012 I never would have experienced had I been constantly traveling . . . the birth of my first grandson Connor; meeting the love of my life and having ample time to fall in love (so blessed he is now my husband!); the addition of another young woman to love - Jay's daughter Christine; and, the birth of my second grandson Colton.  The craziness of making it to the airport on time, delayed or cancelled flights, sleeping in uncomfortable hotel room beds, renting cars and trying to navigate in strange towns kept me busy and constantly on the go. My life is so different now. Status doesn't matter. Flying first class is nice, but not required when I have Jay by my side in coach. As I said goodbye to my Platinum status that year, I said goodbye to a different life . . . one I barely recognize any more. As corny as this sounds, all you need is love, love, love. Love is all you need . . . everything else is just baggage!

In todays Gospel (Mark 6:7-13), Jesus informs His Apostles to lighten up for the journey ahead:

Jesus summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over unclean spirits. He instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick – no food, no sack, no money in their belts. They were, however, to wear sandals but not a second tunic. He said to them, “Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave from there. Whatever place does not welcome you or listen to you, leave there and shake the dust off your feet in testimony against them.” So they went off and preached repentance. The Twelve drove out many demons, and they anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them.

In Volume Nine, Jesus asks us to bring His Light to others through our love for Him. Attempt it boldly, even if at first His Love is rejected:

"There are many ways in which a soul can serve the Kingdom. In these times, though, more than in the past, souls are called upon to evangelize for Me. This means I need souls to bring Me to others. We must seek out each lonely, hurting soul who is isolated from his divine family. If you bring Me to a soul, I can melt that soul’s heart and fill it with joy. The soul can then begin to learn about the vast family of love that seeks to draw him back. Dearest little servants of the Savior, My angels will direct you to these souls. Be alert to their promptings and whispers because they see everything and they know who needs your assistance. If you feel an impulse to approach a soul with these words, do so. Trust those instincts. Even if a soul initially ridicules you, he will eventually face a time of fear or anguish, and, searching for some kind of comfort, he will reach for the book you have given him. If the words are not there, he cannot reach for them. If the Volume has been given to him, he will open it. Be at peace at the reactions of others. You cannot force a soul to learn about Me, but you can suggest that he do so. You can give witness to My presence by talking about your love for Me and the graces you have received from Me. Talk about peace. Talk about joy. Talk about calm. Do not talk about the enemy."

Lay apostles, what baggage are you clinging to? Is it status? Career? Money? Grudges? Think about how important those things will be in heaven. Yeah, I'm thinking the first will be last and the last will be first. Let it go. Lighten up!

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me how to lighten my load here on earth and focus on virtues I will be thankful for in heaven.

God bless,

Bonnie

No comments: