Monday, February 22, 2016

Be Perfect

Perfectionist.  One of the many words I use to describe myself.  An exuberant amount of time has been wasted internally demanding perfection. I set the bar pretty high. I wanted to be the most outstanding wife, mother, daughter, sister, and aunt.  I strived to be accomplished in my career, the best in my field. And, should I even get started about my physical appearance?  Probably, because it's where I've been the hardest on myself.  If I gain a few pounds, my brain goes into panic mode.  Wrinkles as I age?  Oh, good Lord, I don't even want to think about that!  The ongoing battle I have with my curly hair?  Thank God for flatirons.  I'm not suggesting you give up on being the best you. But, do you understand what I mean about wasted time?  I know every one of us struggles with perfectionism in one way or another. After reading todays Gospel (Matthew 5: 43-48), I realized I wish I would have spent more time perfecting my soul for Jesus instead of perfecting my appearance for an imperfect world:

Jesus said to his disciples: "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Clearly, Jesus is asking us to perfect our soul.  He's not asking us to strive toward driving a Mercedes or clothe ourselves in expensive designer labels.  For even the most perfectly straightened hair caught in the rain will frizz and curl, revealing what lies underneath.

In Volume Two, Jesus shows us the way to perfection begins with humility:

“My children, would you like to know how to please Me? Would you like to know what consoles Me and comforts Me in the face of widespread disobedience and hatred? Humility comforts Me. Humility consoles Me. Truly, the humility of My chosen souls softens My heart and deflects punishment from a cold world, undeserving of the mercy of its God. My children, the closer you come to Me, the more you recognize My goodness. Your intellect will automatically compare your holiness to My perfection and the result is humility. This is good. Do not fear the knowledge that you are imperfect and must improve. That is the journey, My child.”

And, in Anne a lay apostle's book Climbing the Mountain, she simply affirms:

“Facing the perfection of Christ keeps us clear on exactly how far we have to go until we reach perfection. The way in which we continue to face in His direction, upward, is through prayer.”

Lay apostles, let's all work together perfecting our souls.  What can you do today to move one step closer to perfection in God's Eyes?  Spend more time in silence with Him by heading to the nearest Adoration chapel? Take the first step to reconciliation with a family member?  Instead of concentrating on how something makes you feel, focus on how what you do will make Jesus feel.  Making Him happy will never be the wrong decision.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me perfecting the inside is much more important than perfecting the outside.  After all, beauty fades and careers end.  But You are everlasting!

God bless,

Bonnie

No comments: