Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Don't ask me why the song "Changes" by David Bowie came to mind after reading the Gospel today (Matthew 18:1-5, 10, 12-14)! As I sit here contemplating the words below spoken by Christ, my thoughts are overwhelmed with our grandchildren . . . especially our newest additions Christian and Savannah (both about to turn 1 next month)! The first child is definitely a big change . . . but the second child, well, it's all about time management. Change is good. Upon occasion, the changes we need to make elicit groans of growing pains . . . getting out of our comfort zone to become wiser, holier. Changes Jesus asks of us require being childlike, not childish. It's time, lay apostles, to see our faith through the eyes of a child. It's time to change behaviors which lead us away from Christ.

The disciples approached Jesus and said, “Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?” He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.”

In the October Monthly Message, Jesus asks us not to fear change:

"Dearest apostles, so brave, I am with you. I do not tell you that you will be overcome. I do not tell you that you have been given work that is impossible for you to complete. Those messages do not come from Me. Instead, I tell you that you will persevere and ultimately triumph. Our mission of mercy does not falter, even though the steps of my little apostles sometimes falter. This mission pushes through the world with a steadiness that defies all attempts against it. My apostles experience fear at times. This is not a problem for Me or this mission. Fear is to be expected. Bring your fear to Me and explain to Me exactly what threatens you. If you do this, I can remove your fear. I will convince you that in My presence, with My power, everything is possible. You have an expectation of your little boat crashing against rocks. I will never allow this. If I am steering the boat that is your work, you will be carried safely. Push on into each day with courage, understanding that while you may not be able, I am able. You may lack courage, but I have courage. You sometimes walk in darkness, but I have the light with which to see exactly where your footsteps are taking you. Dear apostles, it is a time for hard work, yes, but a time for great glory, also. Rejoice. I am with you."

Lay apostles, change can be scary! Questions of doubt will swirl. What is our life going to be like if we change this behavior or that behavior? How are others going to judge the "new" me? Can I handle the change? Can I stick to the change? The answer to all of the above is "yes!" We can do anything through Christ who is our strength!

Thank you, Lord, for the perseverance to fight through changes in my life. I feel secure knowing Your Hands are lovingly redirecting when necessary!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: