Thursday, August 13, 2015

Bound in Heaven

Wednesday's Gospel (Matthew 18:15-20) couldn't be any clearer . . . in marriage, in relationships, in business . . . be honest and trustworthy. What we give on earth will be given to us after our death. So, let's do our best to put our ego aside and serve others. It's a new day and a new opportunity to focus on the end result . . . an eternity in the presence of Christ!

Jesus said to his disciples: “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother. If he does not listen,  take one or two others along with you, so that every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell the Church. If he refuses to listen even to the Church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector. Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again, amen, I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”

In Anne a lay apostle's book Serving in Clarity, the following quote provides a visual worth remembering when the climb is steep:

"Today I found myself back at the mountain of holiness. I saw many people ascending at quite a high level. These ones made steady progress and seemed to exhibit great joy. I found myself among them for a moment in that I had the experience of how they felt. The mountain at this height was steep and there would be a risk of falling back but I sensed the most secure support at my back. It was like a solid structure against which to rest and it felt perfectly safe and absolutely sound. I saw, in looking around, that something bound us all together at this level and everyone around me was as secure as I was, which is what contributed powerfully to our freedom and subsequent joy. I said, 'Jesus, what binds us together?' Jesus said, 'It is obedience to My Church, Anne. The solid support behind you is your obedience to My Church.'

I rejoiced in the happiness of those around me and delighted in the steadiness with which they moved, never backsliding. I understood clearly that if a soul left obedience the support would be jeopardized. I asked Jesus a question because I am bothered by something. I said, 'Lord, what about the cases where people act in obedience but are really unkind? They are obeying but something is terribly wrong.' Jesus drew my attention to the Ring of Defiance, the ring of people at the base of the mountain that repulsed others. I understood that while some appeared to obey in deed or in behavior, they lacked the spirit of obedience. Jesus told me that I would know quite quickly if the spirit of obedience was lacking in a soul because I would experience arrogance from these people. They pretend to obey but in their hearts they have no love. Their obedience feeds their arrogance and they use the pretense of obedience to hold themselves above others. People experience superiority and coldness from them. I know some of these people and it is very repugnant. They can be cruel and indifferent. It is another case of others being the mirror in which they admire themselves. I said, 'Lord, they do a lot of work.' He said 'Yes, and they demand full payment from Me. They present each deed to Me with a demand for recompense.' I remained quiet, such was the dreadfulness of this. Jesus, in response to my unasked question said, 'They will be repaid for their deeds but they will spend time in purgatory learning about love and humility.' I was very aware that those climbing the mountain could rest in their obedience when they became tired or discouraged. They could actually lean back into it for a time until their courage returned. God is pleased with this."

Lay apostles, what are we binding on earth? Is it love, patience, service and humility? If it isn't, we have some work to do! I know I take my eyes off the mountain of holiness every once in a while, and when I do, my actions and decisions aren't stellar. Allowing the world to draw my attention away from the end goal (eternity with Christ) is usually short-lived. And when I can quickly get myself back on track, the world is a much kinder, peaceful place!

Thank you, Lord, for Your messages in the Volumes and the wisdom You have blessed Your servant Anne with. I wouldn't be who I am today without this mission!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: