Friday, May 15, 2015

Pain Today, Gone Tomorrow

About three weeks before my oldest daughter gave birth to our first grandson over 3 years ago, she frantically called me one night worried she might be in labor. I asked all the appropriate questions a nurse would ask . . . what did the pain feel like, how long did it last, etc. Her answers? It was a sharp pain in her lower abdomen which lasted a few seconds. It was so intense it doubled her over, but it only occurred once. When I assured her she wasn't in labor, she painstakingly inquired, "labor can't be worse than this, right?" (I see all you moms smiling right now). My response to her? "Do you want me to tell you the truth or what you want to hear?" How do you describe the pain of childbirth? It's unimaginable until you experience it. Natural childbirth is rough and my daughter has a very low pain tolerance. All I could tell her was that once he was out, she would immediately forget the pain (of course, this was after I told her to take the pain she just experienced, multiply it by 1,000, and it lasting for many hours). She endured a very long labor (thank you Lord for epidurals) like a champ. And when they placed her son in her arms, labor pain became a distant memory. Well, at least the labor pain part of it . . . she had not anticipated the healing needed when pushing an 8 lb baby out! I am happy to report her second son was much quicker (and maybe a little more painful!) almost 9 months ago . . . the pain is long gone . . . but if you ask Mal, NOT forgotten!

Todays Gospel (John 16:20-23) immediately made me think of my own babies coming into this world! Labor does resemble Christianity. It can be rough, painful, and exhausting, but the end result is joy. Jesus is so worth the pain and suffering here on earth. Imagine the joy when we are face to Face with Him! 


Jesus said to his disciples: "Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy. When a woman is in labor, she is in anguish because her hour has arrived; but when she has given birth to a child, she no longer remembers the pain because of her joy that a child has been born into the world. So you also are now in anguish. But I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you. On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you."


In Volume Two, the Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, He encourages us to pray when we are tired of laboring:

"When you meet Me face to face, you will see clearly every happiness you have caused Me. I need you and so appreciate any fidelity offered to Me. If only for the sake of repayment you should come to Me often, as I reward each prayer, each glance, each petition even, beyond anything you might imagine. Please do not worry if you do not feel like you think you should feel. My child, how does a saint feel when that saint is laboring on earth? Very often, My saintly souls feel tired. They feel tired because they are laboring. But they also feel determined and these saintly souls come back to Me in prayer, even though they do not feel holy every moment. Do not let your feelings dictate your prayer time. Imagine a marriage where the two people only served each other in times of romantic love. I need not tell you that the marriage would be doomed. It is the very same with your relationship to Me. Serve Me always, regardless of how you feel."

Lay apostles, remember this particular passage from the Gospel today. Remember it when life becomes challenging and your labor exhausting. Read Volume Two. If you've read it, read it again. If you haven't, click on the link to the right which says "The Volumes - downloadable online." Jesus is offering His true followers all sorts of solace for this life. How you respond to His guidance and support is up to you. Me? I know He keeps all His promises. I believe Him, so I serve Him.

Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to labor not only for my children, but for You. The hard times draw me closer to You . . . just where I belong.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: