Thursday, March 13, 2014

Lent Day Ten - Forgive Quickly

There is a reason I rarely get on Facebook anymore. Negativity abounds and there is no escaping it! I don't mean joking around with a member of my family or close friends. It's acquaintances who I knew in high school over 30 years ago! One of my nieces posted a video of a 3 year old boy negotiating with his mother about a cupcake. It was adorable and I shared it on my Facebook page, tagging my two oldest daughters with almost 2 year old sons. It wasn't intended for anyone else, just my girls. But a woman I knew in high school made a negative comment about how this kid should be taught about respect, and for people not to think it was cute. OK, I am all about teaching children respect . . . ask my daughters! Then I started thinking . . . this woman doesn't have any grandchildren! I guess I was thinking about how smart the little boy was in his negotiating technique . . . nothing other than that. So, it irked me for about 10 seconds and I thought I better start writing my next blog post in advance. (If you want to see the video, please enjoy it as merely a determined 3 year old wanting a cupcake!
http://kfor.com/2014/03/11/toddler-argues-with-mother-over-cupcakes-listen-listen-listen-linda/)

Lo and behold, the Gospel (Matthew 5:20-26) was waiting there for me to read:

Jesus said to his disciples: “I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the Kingdom of heaven.

“You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgmentBut I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, Raqawill be answerable to the Sanhedrin,
and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna. Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard,
and you will be thrown into prison. Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.”


In Volume Two, Jesus asks us to forgive others as He forgives us:


"Because bitterness often originates from another soul, I want you to examine any bitterness in your heart closely. If indeed you do, and you can identify this person who has caused you harm, I want you to spend this day praying for that individual. My child, ask Me to have mercy on this person. My just wrath is a terrible thing to behold and you would not like it to be directed at you. Therefore, you must also seek to spare others this destiny. Love of neighbor delights Me. Mercy and compassion given freely to others delights Me. Forgiveness? I need not even tell you about the happiness that comes to Me when I see souls offering forgiveness to each other. Understand, little souls, that I place people in your path with an intention and with a hope, a heavenly hope. Do not be quick to run from a soul, simply because he does not please you. Consider My will and be certain to ask Me if I have a heavenly task for you with regard to each person. It is in this way I will bring love to each soul, through love of neighbor." 

Lay apostles, are you spending too much time worrying about what people are posting on social media sites . . . or what they are not posting? I had someone call me one time complaining that certain people hadn't "liked" her post! Yikes! My mother always taught me that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Smart advice, but hard to do. So, what's the alternative? Forgive quickly. It really doesn't matter what others think of you, only what God thinks of you. So next time you feel the urge to bite back, stop and remember todays Gospel and quote from Volume Two above! I know I don't want to miss one heavenly task Jesus sends my way!

Thank you, Lord, for all the challenges in my path. I know You send them my way so I will learn to love and live as You did on this earth. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: