Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lent Day 14 - Make Sure Your Actions = Your Words

I trust Jay with all my heart and soul. When he says he loves me, I feel it in every cell of this earthly body. He lovingly encourages me when I need a kick in the pants, and he is the first to congratulate me when I accomplish something, no matter how big or small. His actions = his words. I know he would say I do the same for him. I am allowed to be vulnerable. God is the center of our life. His Will is the consideration for every decision we make as a couple. This is what Jesus asks of us. Not only in our marriages, but in every relationship . . . love fully, speak the truth, serve each other, be humble. Listen to what He has to say in the Gospels. Then, begin acting as He instructs.

In the Gospel for 3/18/14 (Matthew 23:1-12), Jesus is pretty clear in how we should act:

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying, “The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they will not lift a finger to move them. All their works are performed to be seen. They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels. They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation ‘Rabbi.’ As for you, do not be called ‘Rabbi.’ You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers. Call no one on earth your father; you have but one Father in heaven. Do not be called ‘Master’; you have but one master, the Christ. The greatest among you must be your servant. Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.”



In Anne a lay apostle's book Climbing the Mountain, she encourages us to take action:

"Jesus Christ was acutely aware that He was here to set an example. And that is the first thing we must always consider in our days. We, like Christ, are setting an example. Are our daily actions an appropriate example to others? We should read Scripture and soak up everything Jesus said and did because it was all intended to show us exactly how to live and how to love each other. When we read about Him, considering what He must have been thinking and what He must have been feeling, we will fall for Jesus more and more, as so many have before us. Love of Jesus is as natural as breathing for a child of God. It is personal to Him and we must make it personal to us." 

Lay apostles, vulnerability is honesty. Honesty is Truth. Truth is that which is . . . and He Is! It's never too late to change, to begin living as Jesus teaches us in the Gospels. Make sure your actions = your words.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me how to make sure I live what I preach. I know I am a work in progress, but it is getting easier every day!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: