Thursday, March 7, 2019

Gospel Thoughts Today: Lent - The Journey Has Begun

It was a rush to get to Ash Wednesday Mass last night. Yesterday was a "Mimi" day (as the grandkids so lovingly call it!) filled with love, booboos and drawing a chalk road down our very long driveway for my grandson to navigate with a bike. Once Jay and Whitney each arrived at the house, a quick dinner was served, then out the door to Mass by 5:45pm. We arrived at the church a few minutes late and made our way along the back to a fairly empty pew. Behind us sat parents with two small children (both looked to be under 2 years old) who were non-stop crying, talking (loud!) or laughing. My grandson was sitting next to me (6 1/2 years old) and kept looking back at the noisy children. He leaned over to me and said, "Mimi, I can't stand babies!" The more noise projected, the more irritated Colt became. Finally, after his protests were becoming louder, I leaned over and told him he was just as noisy when he was their age! He stared at me for a few seconds as if contemplating what I said, then grabbed the hymnal to occupy himself by finding the next song in the queue. My sweet bubba! At one point, he was leaning up against me as we stood for prayer and I placed my hand over his outside ear to block any insulting sounds coming from behind!

This experience from last night and when reading today's Gospel, I began thinking about my Lenten journey. Where I have been lax in carrying my crosses, I will be much stronger. I will tolerate distractions with prayer instead of protests (no promises of perfection here!). And, I pray I can help my grandson to see Christ in everyone, including noisy babies!

In today's Gospel (Luke 9:22-25), Jesus tells us to take up our crosses . . . with no fear:

Jesus said to his disciples: “The Son of Man must suffer greatly and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised.”

Then he said to all, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?”

In Volume Five, Jesus the Redeemer is asking us to repent now, for HIs Mercy is abundant:

"Any person who makes an act of sorrow and contrition for his sins will know Me instantaneously and be the recipient of My Light and guidance. I am a God of mercy, first and foremost, but I am also a God of justice. My justice, tendered with mercy, will flow into your world. Be joyful, followers of heaven, for your prayer will be answered and your souls liberated."

Lay apostles, where is your Lenten journey beginning this year? What are you focusing on? For me, there are a few things:

1. Pray the Rosary every day.
2. Take time to meditate with Contemplative Prayer.
3. Less time watching TV; more time reading.

Pray for me to achieve the above as I will be praying for your success!

Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to begin my Lenten journey yet another year. Please grant me the graces and persistence to spend more time in the prayer and reflection needed to lead to my eternity with You.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: