Thursday, September 15, 2016

A Lesson in Parenting

From a motherly perspective, it's very difficult to watch children struggle with life issues, especially as adults. Most Christian parents pray their children grow up to be happy, healthy, and successful with Christ as their center. Some stay on track, but some stray off the path. Contemplating my younger days, I find myself apologizing to my parents (in heaven) for all the heartache I must have caused in my teen years. Although most of my bad behavior was to escape my dysfunctional home . . . a mother with severe mental illness and a father who just wanted to escape, I try to imagine how out of control my mother must have felt when she saw the damage I inflicted upon myself during the tough times in our family. It must have broken her heart that there was nothing she could do, just as it breaks mine when one of our daughters suffers. But we must follow the example of the Blessed Mother after she received the gut-wrenching news in today's Gospel. Despite hearing the dreadful words regarding Jesus's fate (and hers as well), she stayed connected to God knowing all the pain and suffering would bring about New Life. Just as our children have life lessons to learn and grow, we must remember to stay focused on Christ, trusting He is using these experiences to draw them closer to Him, just as our own life lessons have brought us to where we are today. 

Today's Gospel (Luke 2:33-35) is a lesson in parenting . . . stay strong and keep praying:

Jesus’ father and mother were amazed at what was said about him; and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted and you yourself a sword will pierce so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”


In Volume Five, Jesus assures that if we offer our concerns to Him, He will use them to lead us to live holier lives:

"Dear souls, conduct yourselves with dignity. Be calm and recollected. Be thoughtful in everything and make decisions prayerfully, always seeking My counsel. I do not want My followers to be overly excited. I do not want My followers to spread bad news in order to incite hysteria.
There are changes coming, yes, but these changes are necessary and your Jesus is always looking out for the best possible environment for your soul to develop the greatest degree of holiness. I will see to every situation that you give Me control over. Be in the habit of constantly
giving Me your concerns and this habit will be then so ingrained that during difficult times, the practice will come naturally."

Lay apostles, are you struggling with something today? If you are, ask Jesus to take control of the situation. Pray for heavenly assistance every time that issue pops into your head. It's surprising how much relief heaven is ready to provide if we just ask. 

Thank you, Lord, for being the salve for my heart when difficulties arise. I know my children are in Good Hands. 

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: