Monday, July 18, 2016

What Signs are You Promoting?

The Gospel today immediately brought to mind the song "Signs" by Five Man Electrical Band. I think everyone my age knows the refrain:

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Kind of reminds me of the state our country is in. Political correctness has stripped our rights to education of our children/grandchildren in the virtues/principles of our Christian faith. All that is good and decent has been cast into the shadows to please a minute number of non-believers/non-Christians. Is it any surprise hatred is running rampant as evidenced by all the shootings right now? Without God, we are nothing. We are not safe or protected from the unrest/retaliation. So, what can we do to turn hate into love? War into peace? Grasp on to the Hand of Christ and do our part to bring faith to the world, beginning with ourselves and our families. How are we reacting to the violence on Facebook? Twitter? Any social media? Are our posts Christ-filled or hate-filled? Signs are everywhere . . . how are you choosing to interpret them?

Today's Gospel (Matthew 12:38-42) reminds me when I stop looking for signs and focus on the here and now, I am giving Jesus the time He needs to answer my questions:

Some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Jesus, "Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you." He said to them in reply, "An evil and unfaithful generation seeks a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah the prophet. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.

In the July 2007 Monthly Message, Jesus clearly defines how we are to view a world rejecting God and all that is decent:

“The signs of My presence are all around you, even though you struggle. Believe this. If you look at a person who has rejected Me, you will see signs of that rejection. If you look at a world that has rejected Me, you will also see signs. My beloved ones, when you see signs that God has been rejected, you must remain peaceful. I, Jesus, have told you that change is necessary. I, Jesus, have told you that I desire change. I do not abandon you and I do not abandon the world. I have many friends in this world and you are among them. You trust Me, I know. I will honor the trust you have placed in Me. I will bring all things to the good, both in your life and in the world.”

Lay apostles, today focus on how you can bring Christ to the world. Is it by posting something positive on Facebook? Staying away from groups spewing hatred for a race, vocation or religion? Stay focused on Him. Make sure whatever you post or write reflects His Goodness, not the malice of God's enemy.

Thank you, Lord, for showing me You are the answer to the world's problems . . . and that love should begin with me.

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: