Tuesday, November 3, 2015

No Excuses, Just Truth

The truth can be devastating. It can also set us free. Admitting our poor choices takes too much effort, so excuses usually suffice. It sugar coats the reality we live day to day. The problem is, it will all catch up to us at some point. As Christians, we are called to speak the Truth . . . so why do we continue to make ourselves appear happier, smarter, more powerful, richer, etc. than we really are? Excuses. Facing the reality of who we are and what we have become could mean we are just like every other human being . . . flawed. Yes, I am imperfect. But every day I try my best to overcome my flaws and do it a little better than I did the day before. Some times I succeed. Some times I fail. Each day God gives me on this earth is an opportunity to become holier, drawing closer to my Heavenly Father. After all, I will meet Him Face to face some day. And, there will be no excuses allowed.

In todays Gospel (Luke 14:15-24) Jesus, in so many words, asks us to STOP making excuses and focus on God:

One of those at table with Jesus said to him, "Blessed is the one who will dine in the Kingdom of God." He replied to him, "A man gave a great dinner to which he invited many. When the time for the dinner came, he dispatched his servant to say to those invited, 'Come, everything is now ready.' But one by one, they all began to excuse themselves. The first said to him, 'I have purchased a field and must go to examine it; I ask you, consider me excused.' And another said, 'I have purchased five yoke of oxen and am on my way to evaluate them; I ask you, consider me excused.' And another said, 'I have just married a woman, and therefore I cannot come.' The servant went and reported this to his master. Then the master of the house in a rage commanded his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor and the crippled, the blind and the lame.' The servant reported, 'Sir, your orders have been carried out and still there is room.' The master then ordered the servant, 'Go out to the highways and hedgerows and make people come in that my home may be filled. For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste my dinner.'"

In Volume Two, Jesus states very clearly to stay focused when encountering those who appear to reject God with one excuse after another:

"You must convey to a struggling soul that the answer for everything is with Me. He may say that you don’t understand that his problems are grave, complex, and unsolvable. He may cite reasons why he does not follow Me, always blaming others. The answers are all with Me. There is no reason to reject God. No excuse will gain pardon on judgment day. I have never shown a soul unkindness or cruelty. I deserve love, loyalty and respect. Understand My power and you will begin to understand My gentleness. Foolish souls equate gentleness with weakness. It is the truly strong who are wise enough to be gentle. So treat your brothers and sisters gently, particularly those who are not united to Me. They wound so easily. They do not have Me to console them when they are hurt. Can you imagine such loneliness? Would you like to return to a world that did not include Me in any way? Do not even imagine such a thing because I have promised not to let you go. Truly, I will not. But be compassionate. My child, have no fear about your future."

Lay apostles, is there someone or something you make excuses for? Do you make excuses for yourself so you appear to be better than others? Think about it. And, the next time you are about to utter an untruth, remember there will be no excuses on judgement day. Practice and humility is all it takes.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me that no matter how imperfect I am, You see the real me with such love and compassion!

God bless,
Bonnie


No comments: