Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Pitying Others

*Repost from 2013:

I am not a cat person (although, I do love Rocky and Burke, my oldest daughter's cats when I visit DC). A few nights ago, while Jay and I were having dinner, a pesky cat I've seen hanging around my house suddenly appeared at my patio door. My first instinct was to jump up and shoo him away as I have done in the past. But as he peered in the window, I noticed he was missing an eye.  Darn it! Poor thing was homeless and missing an eye. Flashes of me feeding him and acquiring a new pet quickly evaporated when I remembered how allergic I am to cats (I live on Benadryl when I stay with my daughter!). But I did pity the poor little guy and feel moved to be compassionate the next time he comes around. Would it be a mistake to put kitty food in a bowl in my backyard? 


In the Gospel reading (Mark 6:34-44) today, Jesus shows just how much He loves every one of us, despite lack of love for Him. It's kind of like the cat . . . he showed his weakness leading to more compassion from me:


When Jesus saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.  By now it was already late and his disciples approached him and said, “This is a deserted place and it is already very late.  Dismiss them so that they can go  to the surrounding farms and villages and buy themselves something to eat.”  He said to them in reply, “Give them some food yourselves.” 


But they said to him, “Are we to buy two hundred days’ wages worth of food and give it to them to eat?” He asked them, “How many loaves do you have? Go and see.”  And when they had found out they said, “Five loaves and two fish.”  So he gave orders to have them sit down in groups on the green grass.  The people took their places in rows by hundreds and by fifties.  Then, taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven,  he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before the people; he also divided the two fish among them all.  They all ate and were satisfied.  And they picked up twelve wicker baskets full of fragments and what was left of the fish.  Those who ate of the loaves were five thousand men.


In the Monthly Message of November 2007, Jesus continues to demonstrate patience in waiting for us to love Him:



"My heart is moved to such pity for those who do not seek Me. Let your heart also be moved to pity. Show constant compassion, never judgement, to those who do not understand what they lack. I am trying to show you, My beloved apostle, that you have begun a journey that must be taken by each person who will spend eternity in the family of God. If others delay the journey, that is their affair. My beloved apostles understand that this journey, the journey to holiness, is the most important journey they will ever take. This is your first priority, My friends. Continue to make your pledge and I will see to it that you become holier."

Lay apostles, are you treating others with compassion? At times people (or animals!) can become very annoying. But in reality, aren't they just needy of love and understanding? We can pity others as Jesus does . . . without judgement. We can recognize the weakness and understand we have all been there at some point in our lives. Today, show some understanding in a difficult encounter or situation. A little bit of love goes a long way!

Thank you, Lord, for showing me that pitying others doesn't mean judgement of the person. For every ounce of compassion I show, the closer I come to the holiness You aspire me to achieve.

God bless,


Bonnie

No comments: