Monday, August 18, 2014

What Defines You?

Washing our cars this past Saturday, I realized my Toyota Avalon is 10 years old! I haven't had a car payment for over 5 years, and boy, I surely don't miss them. My Avalon has seen a lot over the last 10 years . . . two parents through end of life; daughters learning how to drive (scariest thing ever!); early morning school drop offs and after school pick ups; carseats housing my two precious grandsons. The list goes on and on. The embedded scratches on the bumper where I dragged wheelchairs in and out of my trunk covered with a new paint job years ago appear once again from dragging strollers in and out (man are they heavy now!). There will come a day when my old "girl" will lose her get up and go no matter how well I maintain her. But the memories . . . good and bad . . . will remain in my heart forever. Possessions are only "things" which will fade or break down over time. Love of Christ and commitment to Him will last an eternity.

Todays Gospel (Matthew 19:16-22) is more true today than ever before in history . . . more possessions, less God . . . when it should be just the opposite:

A young man approached Jesus and said, “Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?” He answered him, “Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” He asked him, “Which ones?”


And Jesus replied, “You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal;
you shall not bear false witness; honor your father and your mother; and you shall love your neighbor as yourself
.”


The young man said to him, “All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?” Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.


In Volume Three, God the Father provides courage to His Children in the process of gaining heaven:



"The coming of My Kingdom is the coming of heaven or the expansion of heaven to earth. This is part of My plan and this is what the future holds for My children. Can you see it, dear ones? True happiness can be found only in the union of a soul’s will to the Divine Will. When your will is united to the Divine Will, there is no conflict, no struggle. Only a very few find such union on earth. The seeking of this union is the path to holiness that you follow in your obedience to My commandments. You are making decisions. You are moving forward along the road. You are making corrections. This is the process. At times in the history of mankind, most souls on earth were moving in the general direction of heaven. At this time, most souls are languishing along the way. Many are wasting their time on earth and are not coming in this direction at all. In this way, souls are lost. As a God of mercy, I send all manner of signs and warnings. In this time, however, most of My signs are being ignored.
Such is the level of distraction, that My souls no sooner see a sign and experience My call, then they allow themselves to be distracted and pulled back into the world. Children, pay attention. You must focus on Me and on your path. You must be disciplined if you are to remain on the path to salvation. And believe Me when I say that all other roads lead nowhere. My children belong with each other, loving Me. Hear My call of love, now, while I can offer you a soft and gentle transition to holiness." 

Lay apostles, think about what defines you today. If this were your last day on earth, what would those left behind say about you and your life? That you had a big house and a fancy car? Or, that you lived a life of love, kindness, service and humility. I pray I am remembered by the latter.

Thank you, Lord, for opening my eyes to what is truly important . . . You and shining Your Light to others. I am forever blessed!

God bless,
Bonnie

No comments: